Dave Thomas wrote:
> 2. As a parallel activity, I think we need to make Gem maintainers aware
> of the need to make their Gems compatible. We have contact details in
> RubyForgeˇ˝starting a maintainers' wiki, and emailing all maintainers
> with details, will be a good start.

Now you feel my pain.

For the most part this is going to be a chicken and egg problem. People
aren't going to make sure gems work well on 1.9 until they feel like
they or others are actually starting to use it. Given that 1.9 has still
not really become "stable", that's unlikely to happen. And as you say,
until the gems are working, people are less likely to start using 1.9
for real work. This is the problem all non-MRI implementations face, not
just 1.9. And just like other impls 1.9 is going to have to pay its dues
by showing that it can be as stable, execution and feature-wise, as MRI,
as well as providing enough compelling features for people to risk a move.

I don't think gem maintainers are unaware that 1.9 is out there. I just
think they have more important things to work on than porting to a
still-unstable development release with still-changing features and no
clear specification or migration path. And that's not going to change
just by prodding them with a stick.

- Charlie