--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 10:25:42AM +0200, Marc Haisenko wrote:
> On Sunday 06 July 2008, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> > Is it possible to add ncurses-specific functions to curses ruby module?
> > I'm interested in use_default_colors() and assume_default_colors().
> > According to man page, these routines are specific to ncurses.
> >
> > I have found the patch that add this functionality -- [ruby-core:11843],
> > but nobody has answered to the message.
>=20
> IMHO that's what the "ncurses-ruby" module is for. For example, OpenSolar=
is=20
> has curses, not ncurses, so the Ruby default module should work there as =
well=20
> while it's acceptable that an optional module does not (unless you instal=
l=20
> ncurses, of course).

It's possible to export ncurses-specific interface conditionally, like
color or mouse support. Or we can call rb_notimplement(), if the call is=20
not available for this system. Or we can localize ncurses-specific
functions in separate module and include it if needed.
I think support ncurses out of box is very useful. External module is not
suitable for a small application distribution.

--=20
Regards,  Kirill A. Shutemov
 + Belarus, Minsk
 + ALT Linux Team, http://www.altlinux.com/