On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter / sun.com> wrote:
> Igal Koshevoy wrote:
>>
>> Michal Suchanek wrote:
>>>
>>>  Setting up VMs for Windows or some BSDs should be easy. However, OS X
>>>  cannot be virtualized so only people with apple hardware running
>>>  that thing can test.
>>
>> Running OS X in a VM works well, although it's a rather slow and the
>> legality is fuzzy:
>>   http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to
>>
>>>  There is the possibility to test on Darwin but it would be probably
>>>  hard to set up environment identical to current OS X.
>>
>> Agreed, it'd be best to use a full copy of OS X to properly simulate this.
>> Most Rails developers use OS X, so it's important to support that platform.
>>
>>>  There seem to be many people with OS X desktops but i am not sure
>>>  there are many OS X servers free to run some untested code.
>>
>> True. We can either ask for donations of a machine or run this off a
>> service similar to http://www.macminicolo.net/
>
> Honestly I'd almost like to see Apple step up to the plate here. They're
> shipping Ruby and sponsoring work on MacRuby/RubyCocoa now. If anyone could
> arrange to have an OS X machine hosted and available for regression testing
> it would be them.
>
> Laurent? Any chance of help here?

Sorry for the late reply, I was discussing with my management.

Apple cannot provide access to a hosted machine, but we can provide a
decent Mac with a copy of the latest version of Mac OS X on an
infinite loan basis, so that the Ruby community can host it somewhere
and do regression testing on it (as well as any other things). The
machine would also be administered by the Ruby community.

I'm not really sure if it's what you're looking for, but if it helps,
drop me a note in private and we will discuss further!

Regards,
Laurent