--------------050502040809030203000902

Igal Koshevoy wrote:
> I've put together a shell script that runs checks on a Ruby interpreter.
> This should make it easier to see if a certain release of the
> interpreter passes our favorite suite of tests.
>
> I've uploaded its test results for p36ubuntu, p111ubuntu, p238, p265 to:
>    http://code.google.com/p/rubychecker/downloads/list
>
> You can install the program via:|
>    git clone git://github.com/igal/rubycheck_sh.git|
>
> The usage instructions and dependencies are listed in the included
> README.txt, which can also be seen at:
>    http://github.com/igal/rubycheck_sh/tree/master/README.txt
>
> This script requires an installed copy of "ruby" to run against -- which
> you may have just compiled, ran a make install against, and added to the
> PATH (see README.txt for example). This is significant in that all this
> script is doing is recording how that interpreter performs on external
> test suites. If we want something that tests the compilation of the
> interpreter and such, that belongs in another script.
>
> When we get around to setting up a continuous integration (CI) system,
> it'd make sense to have a wrapper script that builds Ruby and installs
> it to a temporary directory (see README.txt for example), and then runs
> this checker against it.
>
> The currently runs the test suites for:
> - rubyspec head
> - rspec 1.1.4
> - rails 1.2.6
> - rails 2.0.2
> - rails 2.1.0
>
> Adding additional suites is easy.
>
> Running all these tests takes roughly 20 minutes.
>
> I chose to write this with "bash" because it's portable and requires few
> dependencies. Using shell also lets me write code that you can paste
> into a terminal and easily debug, alter and follow, unlike, say "make".
> However, if there's a desire to port to another language or tool, it'll
> be easy enough to do so because this provides all the shell commands
> that this other tool will need to run.
>
> I've only tested this on my Ubuntu 7.10 AMD x2 and Ubuntu 8.04 Intel
> Duo. It should be easy to port this to other UNIX variants.
>
> What it doesn't work yet:
> - Any OS other than UNIX
> - Any Ruby interpreter other than MRI 1.8
> - ..?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -igal

Looks good so far. I decided to go ahead with my profiling stuff, which
I am building as a Rakefile (just giving myself one more chance to write
a DRY one.) :) So I am going to add a task to download your shell script
and run it. Right now, I'm installing the dependencies. It turns out
that the only one that isn't in Gentoo Portage is "mspec".

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://ruby-perspectives.blogspot.com/

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul
Erdos

--------------050502040809030203000902

begin:vcard
fn:M. Edward (Ed) Borasky