I've put together a shell script that runs checks on a Ruby interpreter.
This should make it easier to see if a certain release of the
interpreter passes our favorite suite of tests.

I've uploaded its test results for p36ubuntu, p111ubuntu, p238, p265 to:
    http://code.google.com/p/rubychecker/downloads/list

You can install the program via:|
    git clone git://github.com/igal/rubycheck_sh.git|

The usage instructions and dependencies are listed in the included
README.txt, which can also be seen at:
    http://github.com/igal/rubycheck_sh/tree/master/README.txt

This script requires an installed copy of "ruby" to run against -- which
you may have just compiled, ran a make install against, and added to the
PATH (see README.txt for example). This is significant in that all this
script is doing is recording how that interpreter performs on external
test suites. If we want something that tests the compilation of the
interpreter and such, that belongs in another script.

When we get around to setting up a continuous integration (CI) system,
it'd make sense to have a wrapper script that builds Ruby and installs
it to a temporary directory (see README.txt for example), and then runs
this checker against it.

The currently runs the test suites for:
- rubyspec head
- rspec 1.1.4
- rails 1.2.6
- rails 2.0.2
- rails 2.1.0

Adding additional suites is easy.

Running all these tests takes roughly 20 minutes.

I chose to write this with "bash" because it's portable and requires few
dependencies. Using shell also lets me write code that you can paste
into a terminal and easily debug, alter and follow, unlike, say "make".
However, if there's a desire to port to another language or tool, it'll
be easy enough to do so because this provides all the shell commands
that this other tool will need to run.

I've only tested this on my Ubuntu 7.10 AMD x2 and Ubuntu 8.04 Intel
Duo. It should be easy to port this to other UNIX variants.

What it doesn't work yet:
- Any OS other than UNIX
- Any Ruby interpreter other than MRI 1.8
- ..?

Thoughts?

-igal