Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Igal Koshevoy wrote:
>> Please delay the release. I don't think we'll be able to resolve the
>> remaining critical issues by Friday.
>
> For what it's worth, this is all a strong argument for having a CI
> server and keeping rubyspec "green" all the time. Nobody likes having
> to delay a release because there's a stack of errors to be dealt with.
Absolutely.

Is anyone providing CI for Ruby releases? Is there a good CI tool
written in Ruby? Would Hudson be acceptable for doing Ruby stuff? Is
JRuby or one of the other alternative implementations using something
for CI that they're happy with?

I've been building up a shell script, mostly for personal use, so I can
run the checks against various test suites. I attached an earlier
version with my bug report #199 asking for patch reviews. I can mop that
script up a bit and release versions so that others can run the full
suite of tests on-demand from their  command line and or from a CI
server. I've been building this as a shell script because it minimizes
dependencies so that as long as the user has bash, svn, git, wget, tar
and maybe a tiny number of other utilities, they can run it. Does this
sound useful?

I also talked earlier about setting up a bunch of VMs running different
OSes and running the test scripts against these, which would be a good
way to catch platform-specific issues. Is there interest in such a thing?

However, if someone's already done this effort, it'd be good to know so
we can take a look at it and possibly build upon it instead.

-igal