On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:01 AM, U.Nakamura <usa / garbagecollect.jp> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In message "[ruby-core:17530] Re: We'll release 1.8.6/1.8.7 this Friday"
>    on Jul.03,2008 16:16:34, <luislavena / gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can you test with reverting r17290 (socket changes)?
>
> Oh, sorry, I'd mistaken.
> These are select changes, not socket changes.
>

>> Reverting the specified revision fix the issue:
>>
>> 1588 tests, 15068 assertions, 3 failures, 0 errors
>> http://pastie.org/private/xk8thrwcbzeb2h1s7lm3tw
>>
>> Those are the same errors that are failing under p114, which is nice.
>
> Good news :)
>

>> One comment about r17290 is that it previously worked, since before
>> 1.8.7 was released I've been able to use ruby_1_8 branch, which
>> included the same backport.
>
> Hmm...
>
> I consider four senarios.
>
>  1) drb changes cause this problem.
>
>  2) ext/socket changes cause this problem.
>
>  3) win32/win32.c changes cause this problem.
>
>  4) another changes cause this problem.
>
> First, drb was not changed between p114 and p230. So, drb is
> not guilty.
> Second, ext/socket was changed, but it doesn't seems to affect.
> Third, win32/win32.c contains the changes about select. These
> are very suspicious.
> Fourth, ... I have no idea :(
>
> So, I suggested to revert r17290.
>

> On ruby_1_8 branch, ext/socket changes are older than win32's
> select changes.
> So, probably ext/socket changes doesn't cause it, too.
>
> BTW, r17290 is tagged as p207.
> So, if p207 has same problem, ruby_1_8_6 needs something to
> backport from ruby_1_8.
> If p207 doesn't has the problem, something between p208 and
> p230 causes it.
> Luis, could you test p207, please?

Done, the test stall.

We can attribute this to the gets() and thread as you suggested in your email.

In any case, the mix gets() and Thread on Windows is something that
needs more attention taking in consideration all those changes.
(Part Heesob from win32utils worked on a new version for it, but still
imperfect).

Thank you again Mr. Nakamura for your time and your work looking into
this issue.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena