On Jul 2, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Trans wrote:
> Might we ever imagine a time when YAML is an integral part of Ruby?
> That is to say that one wouldn't even need to "require 'yaml'"?

Likely not, for the same reason that ruby 1.9 does not automatically
require 'rubygems', it made the startup size of the ruby process too
big.

For require 'rubygems', ruby 1.8.6 jumps from 1.17MB to 3.32MB

for require 'yaml', ruby 1.8.6 jumps from 1.17MB to 2.43MB

For RubyGems, Rich Kilmer wrote gem_prelude.rb that knew just enough
to pre-populate $LOAD_PATH and automatically load up RubyGems when
needed.

> And, too take it a step further, that the YAML library might be
> improved and better integrated --perhaps even to go so far as to
> create a LINQ style integration?

Really, yaml needs an active maintainer.  IIRC, it was considered for
removal from 1.9.