Hello all,

I'm trying to compile the package 'eruby', and it uses its own
autoconf.rb and configure.rb. Well, the thing is that its configure.rb
uses the 'mkmf' package, which is getting some "environment variables"
that I think are wrong. Take a look at the CFLAGS that it has got:

CFLAGS = -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
-fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mminimal-toc -Wall
-fPIC -Wall -m64    -DLINUX=2 -    D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -pthread -I. -I$(hdrdir) $(APACHE_INCLUDES)
$(LIBAPREQ_INCLUDES)

Honestly, I don't think the '-m64' flag belongs there because it should
somehow "trust" in the compiler bitness and assume that it will generate
executable files with XX bits (being XX the bitness of the archtecture).
Also, if the user specify its own CFLAGS, it can occur an inconsistency
because of that choice made by mkmf (for example, if the user specified
'-m32' in this case).

So, I'd like to know if this is really a misbehaviour of mkmf. Also, if
you could please explain the exact place from where mkmf takes those
flags, I'd appreciate too. It's kind of confusing, at least for me.

Thanks in advance,

--
S?rgio Durigan J?nior
Linux on Power Toolchain - Software Engineer