On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:29 AM, John Lam (IRONRUBY)
<jflam / microsoft.com> wrote:
> MRI currently expects the HOME environment variable to be set under Windows.
> Various operations involving ~ and Dir will fail if HOME is not defined.
>

> However, HOME is rarely defined under Windows by default. Instead
> USERPROFILE is what normally represents HOME. IronRuby is considering
> aliasing HOME to USERPROFILE if HOME isn't already defined at startup time.

USERPROFILE sometimes matches the location of roaming profiles, and
not the HOMEDRIVE+HOMEPATH used is some NT domains.

Ruby 1.9 uses a different list of options for HOME in case if not defined:

[ruby-core:12347]

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/12347

"
In 1.9, when ENV['HOME'] isn't set, it will be set using
HOMEDRIVE+HOMEPATH, USERPROFILE, and "Personal" special-folder
if they are all unset."

I think similar approach should be taked by 1.8

But again, those are my comments and only that.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17