M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Igal Koshevoy wrote:
>> Providing support and patches for 1.8.5 may be necessary. The latest
>> releases of RedHat Enterprise Linux, Debian Etch (AKA "4" or
>> "stable"), SUSE, and possibly others are still shipping 1.8.5 and will
>> be frustrated by the abrupt termination of updates.
>
> RHEL *5* is still using 1.8.5? In that case, dropping support for 1.8.5
> is a *huge* problem. RHEL *4* using 1.8.5 I think the world could deal
> with. After all, Red Hat is always going to market their own upgrades
> aggressively, and anybody who's still on RHEL 3/2.4.21-EL deserves what
> they get. :)

Well ... it looks like RHEL 5 *is* using 1.8.5:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/ruby-1.8.5-5.el5_1.1.src.rpm

dated 12 November 2007.

What are the odds that Red Hat corporate will put manpower onto
supporting Ruby 1.8.5? This is a security issue, and they pretty much
have to fix it. I don't know anyone there, nor do I own any licenses. I
do from time to time experiment with the CentOS and Scientific Linux
re-spins of RHEL 5, but they have to wait for Red Hat to release the
source RPM.