Igal Koshevoy wrote:
> Providing support and patches for 1.8.5 may be necessary. The latest
> releases of RedHat Enterprise Linux, Debian Etch (AKA "4" or "stable"),
> SUSE, and possibly others are still shipping 1.8.5 and will be
> frustrated by the abrupt termination of updates.

RHEL *5* is still using 1.8.5? In that case, dropping support for 1.8.5
is a *huge* problem. RHEL *4* using 1.8.5 I think the world could deal
with. After all, Red Hat is always going to market their own upgrades
aggressively, and anybody who's still on RHEL 3/2.4.21-EL deserves what
they get. :)

I'm not all that concerned about Etch. It's fairly rare in the server
world, it's not really "marketed", and Debian's Ruby packaging structure
isn't particularly well-liked by Rubyists. You're probably more likely
to see a Fedora server than one running Etch. If I were running a Debian
server I'd simply put Ruby up from source. What about the paid-for
versions of Novell SuSE?