It seems like recent problems with patchlevel and minor 1.8 releases
mean that there's too much for one release manager to track. Urabe has
been doing a great job, but tracking both 1.8.6 patchlevels and 1.8.7
releases requires more help. And I believe we need to start giving all
the alternative implementations a say in the Ruby release process, since
it directly impacts our compatibility.

So I suggest the following:

- Each implementation should nominate one member to serve as part of a
release committee.
- Changes to patchlevels and minor 1.8 versions will go through the
committee before getting into a release.
- If the committee agrees the change is justified, it can proceed.
Otherwise, it needs to be examine and possibly reverted or removed.

This would allow all stakeholders in the "Ruby specification" to have a
say in what changes are allowed.

For my part, I nominate Vladimir Sizikov from JRuby. And I can't imagine
a better choice from Rubinius than Brian Ford.

What about this idea?

- Charlie