On Jun 24, 2008, at 2:59 AM, Dario Meloni wrote:

> I have made a patch to the XMLRPC implementation used in Ruby to
> allow more flexibility in it's usage. I have developed this to let
> the developer choose which transport system to use. The http
> implementation is normally used, but for some needs i had to use
> local domain sockets.

Do you have any idea how common this usage is?  I really don't know,
having never encountered it personally.

If it's not super common, I'm wondering if it would be better as a gem
that adds the needed functionality.  Those who need it could install
the gem and modify their require statement.  Just a thought.

> To obtain this i have added support for socket factories.
> There is a  new initialization method to set the socket factory (and
> new3 has been adapted) and the initialize method has 10 arguments
> now. The main difference is in the do_rpc method that will issue e
> new socket from the factory and write the request to it and will
> read the answer. The limitation is that since there is no protocol
> the socket must be closed to end the communication.

One of your comments seems to imply that you're not too sure of the
implementation.  Are we confident enough to include this with Ruby?

Would it be possible to add some tests in test/xmlrpc/ for this new
functionality?

James Edward Gray II