Koichi asked me to double-check with Matz and ruby-core that it is OK
to replace test/unit with miniunit in 1.9. I last proposed this in
November [ruby-core:13586] and it was approved by Akira pending
changes to make it more compatible (at the time it was young).

---

I'm pushing to get miniunit flushed out and replacing test/unit by the
16th. I've been using it as a full replacement for several weeks now,
but my work/code habits are very consistent so I might be missing
something. I've released the latest version of the code to get user
feedback from as many people as possible before the 16th. Let me know
if you'd prefer I didn't make this change for this release.

I proposed replacing it with miniunit, which is 100% compatible on the
test side (but not on the runner side). I've released test/unit as a
gem in its current form for tool vendors who need runner compatibility
(think komodo IDE and other similar development environments).

I will ensure that any tests in ruby's test suite that use test/unit
internals in an incompatible way are modified to work with miniunit.

One additional thing I should point out is that miniunit is MUCH MUCH
cleaner and more maintainable than test/unit, yet increases the number
of assertions and adds mini/spec (an rspec-like extension) and mini/
mock (a very clean and simple mock framework). Providing spec and mock
extensions round out the functionality quite nicely and allow people
to test however they work best.

Check out the line count and complexity differences:

miniunit

   lib  loc     646 total
   test loc     905 total
   totl loc    1551 total