Tanaka Akira:

> > oh? that seems contradictory. but that's okay. perhaps i will just bring it up later ;) ...unless, by suitable you mean it would be too difficult to impliment.
>
> I forgot to mention high level interface tends to have high overheads.
> --

i had idea: maybe have sepereate method to ask just for header info, and this method could also get total size and time it took fetch header.  you said ftp needed a seperate fetch to get total anyway right? add one for http too. that way people can test connections which is good, and get useful information. and perhaps sometimes all they want is header. so you could kill two birds with one stone. actually three bird! :) does that make sense?

-t0