On May 11, 2008, at 5:10 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> IIRC, def stands for define, so
>
>  def foo(bar)
>  end
>
> reads "define method foo which takes a parameter bar as blah blah".
> Anonymous def does not define any method, so its name contains
> contradiction in itself.

this doesn't really hold up in my mind.  you can take the above and re-
wirte

foo = def (bar)
end

reads 'define method which takes a parameter bar as blah blah' and
assign it to foo

def sans bound name is my favorite syntax so far.

or, simplifying: 'def' defines a method.  this works well for js,
seems like a natural fit for ruby.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.