Hello ruby-core developers.

Please apologize for the noise, but dunno if the bugs created at
rubyforge tracker are being 'tracked' by someone.

Basically, this ticket [1] exposes a problem that annoys and add
cross-platform inoperativeness to Ruby. It start with the assumption
that an extensionless file have priority over a true windows
executable (.exe, com, bat, cmd) and try to use it instead when issue
system or any way that calls back into the OS.

To workaround this several projects need to include RUBY_PLATFORM =~
/mswin/ around stuff like 'rake.bat', 'gem.bat', 'spec.bat'
'rails.bat' and the list can go on...

Fixing this not only will get rid of the RUBY_PLATFORM regexp, but
also suppress the need to fix all these utilities to allow MinGW
builds of Ruby work properly.

It was suggested that RubyGems replace the current script+stub
implementation for 1 wrapped file, like built-in MRI scripts does.
This will be good for future, but will not solve the false premise we
are based on.

Since there a huge qty of projects that already fire 'rake' directly,
is silly provides patches for all those instead of fixing the true
root of the problem.

Please, let me know your comments, I could be wrong (like usual) but
I'll gladly provide a patch for 1.9 and 1.8.x series.

Regards and thanks in advance for reading all this.

[1] http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=19733&group_id=426&atid=1698

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems