Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>  (2) for platforms that support these functions, it is easy to
>      accomplish same functionality by calling commands with same
>      names, e.g. system("mkfifo /path/to/fifo").
>  (3) they are not likely to used in inner loops, so there's no
>      performance reason to make them built-in.
>
> Any opinion?

Actually, I am writing a deployment system for Ruby on Rails. And I'm
trying to improve performance by using named pipes for communication
with application servers. A new named pipe is created with each HTTP
request. This absolutely relies on the ability to be able to create
named pipes quickly, and system() is not exactly fast.