Hi,

In message "Re: Ruby does not support mkfifo"
    on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:23:55 +0900, Hongli Lai <hongli / plan99.net> writes:

|Today I needed to call mkfifo() and found out that Ruby does not support
|it. There is an old patch (
|http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/91735 ) that
|dates back to 2004, but it was never committed. Why is that?

 (1) mknod and mkfifo are not ubiquitous.
 (2) for platforms that support these functions, it is easy to
     accomplish same functionality by calling commands with same
     names, e.g. system("mkfifo /path/to/fifo").
 (3) they are not likely to used in inner loops, so there's no
     performance reason to make them built-in.

Any opinion?

							matz.