Hello Hongli,

At 19:05 08/03/09, Hongli Lai wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I've submitted patches several days ago, but there have been no responses. Am I following the correct procedures for submitting patches? If not, what is the correct procedure to get patches reviewed?

I think you have done the right thing by sending patches to this list.

When sending a request such as this one, it helps a lot to include
information about your original mail, including a pointer to the
archived email. Also, assuming that you meant "PATCH: mknod and
mkfifo support", that was sent less than 2 days ago, and these two
days partially overlap with the weekend (in particular in Japan).
Everybody is busy, so I think it is better to wait a bit longer
(e.g. one week).

Compared with other open-source (programming language) development
communities, Ruby uses a distinctively low-key approach to bug and
patch management. There is some talk about trying to use a bug tracking
system, but it is unclear if and when that will happen.

Some people may disagree, but in my opinion, Ruby's low-key approach
is a big advantage. It fits very well with the friendly Ruby culture.

A more complicated system doesn't guarantee that bugs actually get
fixed and patches applied. But it splits the location of discussion
(mailing list vs. bug tracking system), and increases adminitstrative
overhead. Also, it is very well known (and I can confirm this from
experience) that once some additional procedure is introduced, it is
extremely difficult to get rid of it again, even if experience shows
that it isn't really necessary.

Regards,   Martin.