On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:24:33 +0900, David Flanagan
<david / davidflanagan.com> wrote:

> Also, what is the use case for currying?  (Functional programming is not
> my strong suit, but I thought that currying was mostly of theoretical
> interest and a side effect of the fact that lambda calculus only allowed
> single arguments to functions.) Is anyone going to use Proc.curry for
> anything other than partial application?  If not, wouldn't a papply (or
> partial_apply) method be easier and more efficient than the more general
> currying?

It is my understanding that a partial application is the reverse of
currying:  A partial application is a binary function that takes a
multi-argument function and returns a function taking fewer arguments.
Currying, on the other hand, is a unary function that "builds" a
multi-argument function from a series of single-argument functions.

So, currying would be done by calling Proc#curry, while apply is done by
calling Proc#[].

--
Ripta Pasay