Hi,

At Wed, 6 Feb 2008 05:45:13 +0900,
Tim Morgan wrote in [ruby-core:15363]:
> Thanks for the tip, but I can't get it to work.
> What are the meanings of the fields that INSTALLFILES needs?
> Does the file need to be in the source tree, or can I give a full filespec?

The former.  If you want to install generated files, use
  $INSTALLFILES << ["./cmd1", "$(bindir)"] << ["./cmd2", "$(bindir)"]

Note about ./, which lets mkmf.rb know it is in the current
working (compiling) directory instead of the source directory.
And since it is globbed before compilation, you have to write
the exact name for each targets.

> I would guess
> 1: "bin/*"   --> expands to source files
> 2: $(bindir) --> written into Makefile as the destination

Correct.

> 3: 'bin' ?  part of the install sequencing?

It is a prefix to be stripped from source file names, so
"bin/foo" file will be installed as "$(bindir)/foo" but not
"$(bindir)/bin/foo".

--
Nobu Nakada