David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>
>> On Jan 9, 2008 1:14 AM, David A. Black <dblack / rubypal.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I might have missed this somewhere, but I'm wondering why p is now
>>> returning its argument
>>
>> To make it easy to drop in a p in a chain of methods.
>
> It's a private method, though, so it can't go in the middle of a
> chain, and it's also functional (i.e., p 1, rather than 1.p). I guess
> it could go at the beginning of a chain. I'm not sure I'm getting it,
> thoguh.

What's wrong with the beginning of the chain?

irb(main):004:0> p([1,2,3].first).to_s
1
=> "1"

Having to get everything to balance right (and still balance right when
deleting the debug code) could be a pain, with a more complex
expression. Is that what you're getting at? Seems like #tee is more
appropriate here.