On Dec 25, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2007, at 1:31 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>> Yeah ... I'm with you on this one, having just discovered that two
>> gems,
>> rcov and hpricot, need to be updated to work with 1.9 anyhow. Should
>> there be some kind of "master list" of the "commonly used gems" that
>> need updating so they'll work with either 1.8 or 1.9? So far I have
>
> My experience is that a whole bunch of gems are broken. Some fail
> explicitly, some just don't work properly.

Sadly, this is spot on.

I was surprised at how much work my 11th hour integration of the
FasterCSV code was.  It was a pure Ruby library that really didn't do
a lot of fancy tricks, but I had to track down about 20 little issues
to get it running under Ruby 1.9.  Thank goodness it had terrific test
coverage to lead me to the problem areas.

I learned a few things in the process and will try to get a blog post
up as soon as I can giving some tips for others to follow.

James Edward Gray II