On Dec 25, 2007, at 3:01 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> ©‘houldn't gem developers be
> looking at porting their stuff back to pure Ruby whenever possible? I
> can understand C interface code for OS-specific functionality, but
> is it
> really that necessary for raw speed any more?

I think this was true even before all these great new interpreters
came about.  Not too diminish the work of others in C, but I think we  ut it first on the list of optimizations a little too often when it
should generally come last.  A little algorithm work can often get
Ruby to fast enough and I think we have a tendency to give up too
easily.