On Dec 25, 2007, at 3:01 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> =85shouldn't gem developers be
> looking at porting their stuff back to pure Ruby whenever possible? I
> can understand C interface code for OS-specific functionality, but =20
> is it
> really that necessary for raw speed any more?

I think this was true even before all these great new interpreters =20
came about.  Not too diminish the work of others in C, but I think we =20=

put it first on the list of optimizations a little too often when it =20
should generally come last.  A little algorithm work can often get =20
Ruby to fast enough and I think we have a tendency to give up too =20
easily.

James Edward Gray II=