On Dec 25, 2007, at 07:03 AM, Richard Kilmer wrote:
> Just re-built latest svn of 1.9.0 and base64.rb is removed.  Its
> required in active_support (conversions.rb).  Do you think its worth
> having all libraries that were removed from Ruby in 1.9.0 moved into
> a "legacy gem" or something?  I am sure the rails guys will catch
> this and remove the dependency since its not going to be supported
> going forward, but this kind of thing may happen to other libraries.

I don't think a legacy gem should be created.  This doesn't encourage
people to switch to the new way of doing things, whatever that is.
(For base64, use [str].pack 'm*'.)

People have asked me to alias require_gem for RubyGems 1.x, and I will
not.  Software depending on it won't get fixed if it stays around.