On Dec 24, 2007, at 3:34 AM, NAKAMURA, Hiroshi wrote:

> Last-minute push for 1.9.1 though I've not yet read mails in these
> months at ruby-core and ruby-dev...  jeg2, would you please replace
> csv.rb of trunk with fastercsv?
>
> Sorry, I should have said this earlier.

Matz answered my time question, so I can probably get the change in if
we're not discussing anything too drastic.

Am I understanding right that we want to remove csv.rb, rename
faster_csv.rb to csv.rb, replace all instances of FasterCSV with CSV,
and commit the changes?

Just to be clear, FasterCSV's "compatibility mode" will not work in
this scenario and would have to be dropped.  Truth be told, I've never
liked the compatibility mode because you lose most of FasterCSV's
advantages using it.  So you might as well just stick with CSV if
you're not going to convert.  I'm fine with the idea of dropping it,
but I wanted to make sure the core team is aware that I expect this
change to break over 90% of the existing CSV code in the world.  It
would only take minor changes to fix the broken code, but there would
be some maintenance.

So please confirm that we know this and it's still what we want to do
and I will do it.  Matz, NaHi?

James Edward Gray II