Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> |1) Will Proc.binding be made to work in 1.9?
>
> Just done.

I would like to hear from Koichi how this affects various optimizations
we talked about at RubyConf. Specifically, in JRuby, the ability to turn
a proc into a binding means that all scopes with a block in them must
use a (slower) heap-based local variable store rather than a (faster)
stack-based store. However Ruby 1.9 has more control over the stack, so
perhaps it's not as difficult to pull it into a heap structure.

Beyond implementation details, I still think it's a problematic feature
that breaks encapsulation of the caller's local variables. I don't like
the idea that some API I call with a block can then modify my local
vars...it has the same feel as retry-outside-rescue did.

> |2) Will Kernel.__callee__ be implemented so it works as documented in
> |1.9?  If not, may I delete its rdoc comment?
>
> Oh, it's yet another unaddressed issue.  I'd like to implement
> __callee__ as it described, but I have to ask Koichi how to do it.
> Stay tuned.

I must have missed it, what is __callee__ supposed to do?

> JRuby people did.  So I guess I can safely say it will be part of the
> spec.  Other implementers, it's the last chance to say objection.

I agree it should be specified, but only for 1.9.1+. We support it in
JRuby in 1.8 mode, but that's incidental (it's easier to just have it on
all the time, and it makes certain types of iteration more deterministic).

- Charlie