Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Sat, 8 Dec 2007 00:07:53 +0900,
> Berger, Daniel wrote in [ruby-core:13920]:
>> Ack. Please give me .length as a shortcut for as.heap.len.
>
> To define length as as.heap.len?

I'll admit I have not looked at the 1.9 source in some time.

While "as" is an union that seems to do some padding for better
alignment, I am wondering what's the benefit of the heap struct?  Why is
there the need to dereference a pointer for getting to the len or the
array now?  Isn't that much slower?
Also there's some flags that seem to indicate that strings can be stored
in two different ways now.  RSTRUCTs seem to be the same way.

Can you shed some light, Nobu?

--
Gonzalo Garramu˝´
ggarra / advancedsl.com.ar