> I indeed added that check to skip unless dash and also wrapped the
> whole initialization code in begin/rescue block in case of failure (to
> allow to to still start up even with and error).

Thank you.

> You should not have
> that directory (1.8) in the gems directory.  There should just be
> directories that contain unpacked gems.

I knew it...  Sorry for the trouble.

> What is in the 1.8 directory
> on your machine?

$ ls /opt/rubygems/gems/1.8
gemconfigure.rb  rbconfig  rubygems  rubygems.rb  ubygems.rb

I don't know why there is that directory.  I installed rubygems by
following an instruction that was published somewhere, but I don't
remember where it was.  I might possibly misunderstand the
instruction.

Anyway, it's better for the ruby core interpreter to be robust,
I think.  IMO, the executable of ruby interpreter should be
stand-alone when a running script requires no other file, ideally.

Thanks,

--
Yusuke ENDOH <mame / tsg.ne.jp>