--1926193751-1594815774-11953128420797

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, Wolfgang NĂ¡dasi-Donner wrote:

> David A. Black schrieb:
>
>> I'm just discussing what I think are the strengths and
>> weaknesses of things.
>
> I understand your intention. Here I have severe problems
> in relation with Ruby, because it really became a multi
> cultural language in the meantime. All other programming
> languages I ever worked with, came from the USA or Europe
> ("Lua" from Brazil, but they use an European language
> for human communication). This means, that these programming
> languages came from a cultural environment, which has the
> same origin. We can see it simply by looking at the
> character sets the languages are based on (EBCDIC, Ascii,
> and long ago some European variants).
>
> Ruby is based on Japanese culture, which is different.
> I don't know enough about Japan (except that I like to
> play GO, but not good :-( ) to be able to assess which
> expressive parts of the Japanese language influenced
> parts of Ruby. Especially with the notation...
>
> "Can there be an answer?".split('')
>                         .map{42}
>                         .join('-')
>
> ...I remember, that there were some posts speaking about the
> relationship of this to Japanese (in one of the other Threads
> about this topic, if I'm not wrong).
>
> Insofar I don't know how to evaluate constructs as a strong
> or weak construct, because I would like to evaluate it in
> conjunction with the usual cultural way how persons express
> themselves.

I think it's OK for international Rubyists to discuss Ruby as Ruby,
including discussions about upcoming features and proposed changes.
There are certainly depths to it that arise from its cultural origins,
but I'm still willing to state my views on the psychic dot :-)

David

See http://www.rubypal.com for details!
--1926193751-1594815774-11953128420797--