matz / ruby-lang.org (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote:

>  * do not use old diff format. It's unreadable.  I prefer -u
>    (unified).

A useful tip for those who don't already do this is that adding this line:

diff -uN

to ~/.cvsrc makes this cvs diff's default. (The -N is useful because I'm
always forgetting to include new files in patches, and diff's default is to
assume that they're uninteresting.)

>  * ignore warnings from variables marked as /* OK */ for example,
>
>      VALUE result;             /* OK */
>
>    I checked and confirmed they are safe, regardless of warnings.

All the submitter was doing was writing "OK" as Qnil: he wasn't rewriting
the code to avoid the warning. Isn't it a good idea to tell the compiler you
think you know what you're doing so that -Wall can be the default? That way
we'd see when it has something important to say.

For example, VALUE -- the usual type of 'klass' parameters -- is "unsigned
long" yet in today's CVS, eval.c:220 has the type of a klass parameter
defaulting to int. That's the only thing that looks convincingly like a
mistake, but it gets lost in amongst all the "noise" warnings.

[I'm sure the unused VALUE* tmp in rb_gc_mark_locations isn't deliberate,
but it's never going to cause trouble.]

> 							matz.

 --elliott

This e-mail and any attachment is confidential. It may only be read, copied and used by the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you may not copy, use, distribute, forward, store or disclose this e-mail or any attachment. If you are not the intended recipient(s) or have otherwise received this e-mail in error, you should destroy it and any attachment and notify the sender by reply e-mail or send a message to sysadmin / bluearc.com