On Nov 14, 2007 10:08 AM, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/14/07, Jay Levitt <lists-ruby / shopwatch.org> wrote:
> > Sorry I'm coming in late, but didn't Eric announce a month or two ago that
> > he'd be bringing in the well-aged, well-understood (if not universally
> > loved) GNU architecture triple?  Does Ruby need to base facets of things
> > other than that both that triple and the individual features that autoconf
> > gave?
>
> Does Ruby need the architecture triple as a single string? I think the
> problem is that we're trying to use a single string to represent the
> target combination. The other problem is that the architecture triple
> doesn't necessarily help with Microsoft compiler variants (my
> Google-fu is failing me to be certain).

You're correct. Most information in the GNU triple or RUBY_PLATFORM is
useless for Windows, and most useless for other platforms too, since
the important thing is have a consistent behavior of the "RUBY API"
(core and stdlib) across platforms.

Take a look at Pathname as example. Is mostly *nix centric, don't
handle paths with drive letters, absolute_path and relative_path
report garbage on Windows -- well, not quite garbage but useless
information.

For a example, take a look at svnauto Path implementation:
(http://pmade.com/svn/oss/sc/trunk/lib/svnauto/path.rb)

> Why should we be using a single Regex for this when we could be doing
> other, smarter things with multiple objects or strings?

I guess because is available all the time. The workaround is requiring
'rbconfig' and doing matches with Config::CONFIG['arch'] and other
information from there.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems