On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:23:07 +0900, Gonzalo Garramu˝´ wrote:

> For what is worth, I've always advocated creating a simplified OS module
> or constant for that like that of python.
>
> python> import os
> python> os.name
> 'posix', 'nt', 'mac', 'os2', 'ce', 'java', 'riscos'.
>
> The main reason is that this way you actually document all platforms
> properly that ruby supports, unlike what we have now.
> With a regexp, until you actually sit on a machine that actually runs a
> certain OS, you really have no clue what string to match against.
> For years I was using /win/ only to then have 'darwin' appear, breaking
> code.

Sorry I'm coming in late, but didn't Eric announce a month or two ago that
he'd be bringing in the well-aged, well-understood (if not universally
loved) GNU architecture triple?  Does Ruby need to base facets of things
other than that both that triple and the individual features that autoconf
gave?

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they