Hi --

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: method names in 1.9"
>    on Sun, 11 Nov 2007 00:55:48 +0900, "David A. Black" <dblack / rubypal.com> writes:
>
> |I know that a 1.9 feature-freeze is coming soon, but I just wanted to
> |put in a last-minute plea for some method name changes or removals.
>
> - send, invoke_method
>
> #send now invokes any method regardless of visibility (as in 1.8) so
> that the alternative version of "send" (currently named
> 'invoke_method') honors visibility.  I don't think adding "bang" for
> the safer version is a good idea.  Any other idea?

I agree (no bang for safer version). I guess my favorite was send
(safe) with send! (dangerous). I'm not sure what the best solution is
if send is back to being the dangerous one.

> - to_splat
>
> Unlike invoke_method above, you didn't provide your sought name.  It
> must be a clear name to be use for splat.  Any opinion?
> Regarding 'to_xxx', we have 'to_open' added in 1.9 that must be
> irritate you.  It is used to implement open on anything other than
> strings.

I think "for_x" would be better than "to_x" for the ones where you're
preparing the object for use by a specific operation. I'll learn to
live with "splat" if I have to :-) But for_splat would be better than
to_splat, I think.

David

See http://www.rubypal.com for details!