On 10/29/07, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> > and therefore doesn't install it by default and you can't do that
> > thing you could do out of the box on windows.
>
> True, there are some differences between Windows and Linux, and with the
> way you install apps on those two platforms. Some people prefer one
> platform, some people prefer the other. Both for good reasons, usually.

Please Lucas, don't take that as example. Out-of-the-box on Windows
don't apply to OpenSSL either.

Even if the ruby stblib has the extension pre-compiled for you, you
still need OpenSSL installed to use it.

So: non-identified dependencies still applies to Windows.

> Your answers on this thread are full of hate and anger. I'm sorry if you
> had a bad experience with Debian, Ubuntu, or something else in the past.
> I'm involved in Debian development, trying to improve things, but being
> received with so aggressive mails here make me reconsider a lot of
> things.

Again Lucas, please, don't take this "image" to represent all the
users in this list, #irc or the Google Groups.

I encourage you to keep the work you're doing in the Debian/Ubuntu
front, since making life easy to lot of users is a daunting task and
you should be rewarded :-)

Also, discussions about packaging and "where to place things" help not
just the distro you're working on, but also provide ideas to better
managing of packages for Windows (as example) or enhance the platform
(Ruby).

Ruby isn't perfect, nor the programs / libraries created with.

Even Ruby between version broke compatibility which requires matz,
nobu or others patch it to keep it working.

They are open to suggestions too, like us.

> Your behaviour clearly doesn't fit in the free software community. And I
> can't remember the last time I faced someone so annoying in the free
> software community.
>
> You don't care about how distros (or Apple) package ruby. I respect your
> POV.  But I think that you made your opinion clear several times now,
> and that you should just refrain from replying to my mails, or to
> threads about distros, in the future.

If anyone don't provide a constructive solution, or at least something
constructive to the thread, please, keep the rants in your draft
folder...

> Several people encouraged my efforts (on-list and off-list) aiming at a
> better/more standardized ruby layout on distros, so there's clearly some
> interest in that, but your pollution of all threads on the subject with
> flames doesn't really allow productive discussions.

Again Lucas, keep working.

As I said before, sometimes you need to fix code, sometimes you need
to hack developers way of thinking.

Is a hard task, but really worthy.

Also, install some "anti-rant" filter and checking mails will be a bliss ;-)

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems