Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Useless patch..."
>     on 02/05/15, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> writes:
>
> |  * I'm not sure whether we don't need size adjustment in
> |    rb_ary_shift() any longer.  Since we have bigger memory these
> |    days, maybe it will be a problem.
>
> Type.  "it will *not* be a problem".
>
>                                                         matz.

Are you talking about the code that shrinks an array if the length is
less than a tenth of capacity? Why would you want to get rid of that? I
thought it looked like a good tradeoff.

I'm interested because I have some code in which arrays frequently grow
from 0 to large and back to 0. I don't want the realloc to happen often,
so I manually (in C code) pop elements without changing capa. This seems
to me to be the exception, not the rule. For most uses, the current
behavior seems best. I don't think memory resources will ever exceed
demand...