At 15:01 07/10/13, Eric Hodel wrote:

>I am ready to import RubyGems into trunk.
>
>Here is what I propose:
>
>rubygems/trunk/lib      => ruby/trunk/lib
>rubygems/trunk/bin      => ruby/trunk/bin
>rubygems/trunk/test     => ruby/trunk/test/rubygems
>RubyGems documentation  => ruby/trunk/doc/rubygems
>
>Are there any other outstanding issues before I go ahead?
>
>I see a thread in ruby-dev about importing RubyGems, but I cannot
>read Japanese.

I haven't read the whole thread in detail, but one of the latest
developments was a discussion on how exactly to include RubyGems
in 1.9. There was quite some support for default inclusion
(i.e. no longer any need to do "require 'rubygems'"), but there
was one big problem, namely that "require 'rubygems'", including
the libraries used, would need a very serious amount of memory.

There was therefore the proposal for a 'diet' version of rubygems
that would only include the bare necessities for then including
other rubygems by 'require'. It's not yet clear how exactly they
plan to integrate rubygems, but I guess it would help move the
decision process ahead if you could give any idea of how easy/quickly
you (or somebody else) could produce such a 'diet' version, and
what size you would expect.

Regards,    Martin.