On Oct 1, 2007, at 09:57 , Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2007, at 22:56 , NAKAMURA, Hiroshi wrote:
>> It's October, the deadline.  We need to go ahead.
>> NAKAMURA, Hiroshi wrote:
>> > 1. Is platform-specific gem handling needed in ruby/1.9.1?
>> >
>> >   - Is binary gem support needed in ruby/1.9.1?
>> >     If no one has any objection, it's up to RubyGems team.
>>
>> drbrain, would you please tell me how it goes on?  Incorporating
>> 'platform-specific gem handling' feature to ruby/1.9 is up to
>> RubyGems team.
>
> The platform-specific gem handling feature is done, barring
> potential minor changes in the upcoming week or two.  I expect to
> release a beta of RubyGems this week, and an official release next
> week.
>
> This would not hold up including RubyGems in 1.9, as I could roll
> any additional changes in as necessary.

I am ready to import RubyGems into trunk.

Here is what I propose:

rubygems/trunk/lib      => ruby/trunk/lib
rubygems/trunk/bin      => ruby/trunk/bin
rubygems/trunk/test     => ruby/trunk/test/rubygems
RubyGems documentation  => ruby/trunk/doc/rubygems

Are there any other outstanding issues before I go ahead?

I see a thread in ruby-dev about importing RubyGems, but I cannot
read Japanese.

>> > 2. Does RubyGems need some 'require-hook' feature to be added to
>> >    ruby/1.9.1?  What's the requirements?
>> >
>> >   - just bundle RubyGems with ruby as one of a packaging system.
>> >     so hooking -r options as same as Kernel#require is needed.
>> >   - Nobu, I heard that you have once designed this feature halfly.
>> >     Is there anything you can share with us?
>> >   - I was hoping we could use rb_funcall to invoke a
>> Kernel#require in
>> >     require_libraries() rather than calling the C rb_require
>> directly.
>> >     Is this possible?
>>

>> As the result of long (and sparse :-) discussion on ruby-dev,
>> r13580 did
>> the change.  The last one of the above list.  Nobu and I are still
>> talking about generic 'require-hook' feature to avoid ad-hoc
>> Kernel#require rewriting so any comments are welcome about this.
>> Anyway, go ahead and let's bundle RubyGems into ruby/1.9.
>>
>> drbrain, would you please check if r13580 is enough for RubyGems and
>> tell us the result?
>
> Ok.  I will do this tonight (Pacific Time).

Sorry for the delay.  It works perfectly.