On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> >
> > > Latest research:
> > >
> > > 1. It works fine on 32-bit.
> > > 2. It works fine on 64-bit with debugging plus profiling *plus
> > > optimization*
> > > (-g -pg -march=athlon64 -O3)
> > > 3. So far the *only* failure mode is 64-bit with "-g -pg" only.
> >
> > Is it worth trying -O2, -O1 ?
>
> Eventually I might do that. I'll be testing the "-g" without "-pg" at some
> point, but I don't plan to try the other optimization levels. So if it goes
> away when "-pg" is removed, that pretty much nails the thing down.

OK, thought it might be scripted and easy to run over night.

> > > So ... I'm going to call it a gcc (or gcc-gprof interface) problem and
> > > move
> > > on. :)
> >
> > A look through binutils-2.18/gprof/ChangeLog{,-2005} turns up nothing
> > relevant to {pointer,gcc,memory,leak,athlon}, AFAICS.
>
> It the profiling library start routine in binutils or in the C libraries?

I can't parse that sentence :-).  I googled for
gnu gprof site:gnu.org
or similar, and it pointed to binutils, so I grabbed the latest to see
if the ChangeLogs noted anything.   I've not looked in GNU C libraries
of any kind (glibc?).

        Hugh