Hi,

I noticed Ruby 1.9 had the class Iconv improved. In 1.9 it became
possible to discard characters that cannot be converted from one
encoding to another for some reason. So, it's like in GNU iconv
utility with the option '-c' as I understand. It's much better than in
1.8 where it is aborted with an exception in such a case.

What I don't understand is what "call-seq: cd.discard_ilseq = flag"
mean in the doc string (and 'cd.transliterate = flag')? What does
'cd.' stand for? Sometimes, the Ruby  assignments doc strings have
dotted prefix like in Iconv, sometimes not (e.g., in Zlib::GzipFile
'sync = flag').

By the way, are there any plans to augment exception handling so that
it would be possible to handle illegal characters even more flexible,
say, not discarding them but replacing with some character or giving
more information on where it stopped or something?

--
Eugene Ossintsev