On 10/3/07, Michal Suchanek <hramrach / centrum.cz> wrote:

> > The CRT 8 files (VS2005) are SxS assemblies, intended to be installed
> > on the system. It takes some extra workarounds to put them only in the
> > source directory.
> >

> If the above is supposed to mean that vc8 runtime libraries cannot be
> just downloaded and dropped to the same directory as the executable
> that uses them then I would avoid them like plague.
>
> For vc7 runtime it works. But then who knows what new entertainments
> has Microsoft prepared for the users of their newer software.

We could go with the MinGW path, which is compatible with msvcrt (and
as result, uses the buggy, not safe msvcrt used by vc6).

The whole assemblies enchilada is part of the holy solution to the dll
hell... which still sucks.

But, VC8 and VC9 (beta) are 64bits ready, meanwhile MinGW need a lot
more of work to get integrated, alpha, candiate and stable 64bits
support... 2 years maybe? :-P

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems