On 03/10/2007, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/3/07, Michal Suchanek <hramrach / centrum.cz> wrote:
> > On 01/10/2007, Charlie Savage <cfis / savagexi.com> wrote:
> > > Note a big downside of VC2003/VC2005 is having to distribute the various
> > > required Microsoft CRT dlls - that is a royal PITA.  And that is why
> > > MingW/msys/VC++6 are so convenient - they use older versions of the CRT
> > > that are on all Windows machines.
> > What's the problem here? The whole point here is that you do want to
> > distribute dlls. Just pack in one or two more. And if the oci is built
> > using the new compiler it would have the dlls already so there is no
> > problem at all.
>
> The CRT 8 files (VS2005) are SxS assemblies, intended to be installed
> on the system. It takes some extra workarounds to put them only in the
> source directory.

If the above is supposed to mean that vc8 runtime libraries cannot be
just downloaded and dropped to the same directory as the executable
that uses them then I would avoid them like plague.

For vc7 runtime it works. But then who knows what new entertainments
has Microsoft prepared for the users of their newer software.

Thanks

Michal