On 9/30/07, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't actually agree here. Curt goes with the VC 6 build because it's
> easier than trying to work with the overall environment himself and

That was my point.

Nobu already have the environment in place. I was trying to recreate
it and took me some time get everything build / fixed for VC8.

Use the official build reduce the pain, and making the official build
goes for the VC8 is something outside the power of Curt, and remains
close to the Ruby-Core developers

> I've looked for a solution from the people who could give a useful one,
> and gotten bupkis.

If you're talking about MS... they found a workaround: recreate ruby
in the shape of IronRuby.

> What I just said about OpenSSL or zlib or pdcurses applies trebly for
> Nobu or NaHi (or whomever it is that provides the base builds).
> VC8-built Ruby will NOT safely run with any DLL that is built on VC6 or
> MinGW. You must have all DLLs in your chain built with the same runtime
> for safest execution.

That was my point... often think my english isn't good and people get
lost on my answer... you prove it.

> Performance. 32-bit code runs a bit slower on x86-64 and Win64 than on
> Win32.

Sometimes maintainability is the best solution versus Performance.

As I said, just for the record, there is some work on x64-pc-mingw64
version of MinGW...

> Right. But the amount of overhead to support to get VC8 working is
> insane. I tried it, remember?

Insane? Could be, getting every dependency build right under VC8 took
me a lot of time, but is doable.

Getting it build right under MinGW was easier.

> > BTW, wasn't you who migrated to OSX? :-P
>
> Yeah. I've never been happier than when I no longer had to deal with
> Windows at home. I still work with it at work every day, though.

Refresh my memory: wasn't the Ruby bundled with OSX broken? Most of
the post I see on the web states manually compile Ruby and the
extensions for OSX... to get a dev. environment right.

Anyway, the thing is: what will be best for other ruby
developers/users? Creating extensions for Ruby are simple if both Ruby
and the extensions could be built with a compiler available today.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems