On 9/30/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
> Yes, let's take this to Ruby-Talk so we can all participate. Most of the
> open source projects I deal with on Windows have gone to || stayed with
> MinGW/MSYS and its friends. Ruby seems to be the exception. I remember
> the past discussions and my own point of view was that it didn't really
> matter to me as long as the gems && other C/C++ libraries were available
> in binary form and in source form if their licenses required it. I don't
> *need* to build from source on Windows, although I wouldn't refuse the
> opportunity to do so.

Maybe you're right, cross-posting this could get more answers from
actual ruby-mswin32 users.

The concern about gems and other C/C++ libraries in "binary form" is
why I started this.

Trying to get VC8 to compile extensions that where only available to
*nix platforms (Take for example Mongrel).

Ruby-VC6 make this a nightmare. Even VC71.

Lucky me I recovered a lost Visual Studio 97 we had on office and
installed VC6. Now mswin32 users of Mongrel have a binary gem to use
and enjoy.

> So while I know that VC8 is a "better" compiler than MinGW/MSYS, what
> other open source projects, if any, use VC8? How many others use VC6?

I wonder why you quoted 'better' when talking about VC8 :-)

MinGW/MSYS reduces the overwork getting something build/updated on
Windows, take as example Ruby.

I worked almost 3 days in a row to get all the Ruby dependencies (as I
listed that before) compile and properly run with VC8.

That was a huge amount of time "invested" in. On the other side, get
almost every extension bundled with ruby build under MinGW took me
less than a day (Using MinGWports and GnuWin32 source packages).

VC6 is no longer in use for Python or Subversion, both of the bigger
OSS I have seen.

Sometimes a lot of projects (like wxWindows) compiles better with
MinGW, since there is no maintainer for the nmake-compatible makefiles
or the msbuild solution files.

> What are the licensing gotchas on the Intel compiler? In general, are
> open source projects on Windows doomed to be second-class citizens? :(

ICC requires us having a Intel license, from compiling Ruby to
creating extensions.

As I said before, the thing about VC6/VC8 is not about is the right
compiler or faster compiler, but I was considering the problems most
developers face when creating/maintaining extensions for Ruby.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems