At 15:35 07/08/31, David Flanagan wrote:

>Matz acknowledges that these are pragmas, and promises at least three legal syntaxes for specifying an encoding:
>
>> I will
>> relax this as Python coding pragma (as in PEP-263).
>>   # -*- coding: <encoding name> -*-
>> or
>>   # coding=<encoding name>
>> or, even
>>   # vim: set fileencoding=<encoding name> :

Hello Matz - I forgot to tell you yesterday, but when I saw the
second syntax above, I thought that it doesn't stick out enough.
Even one or two characters more would be better in my opinion
(e.g. #@coding=... or so). That way, programmers hopefully
may become more aware of the fact that this is something
special, not just a comment. Just my 2cents, syntax is not
my area expertise.

Regards,    Martin.

P.S.: I'm new to this list, but I have been enjoying the beauty and
      benefits of Ruby for over a year now. Before moving to my
      current position, I was Activity Lead for Internationalization
      at W3C. And yesterday, I had a very stimulating discussion with
      Matz about Ruby internationalization.