Hi,

Thanks for your comments, TRANS, Ryan and Eric.  Good to know you all
are positive about including RubyGems.

TRANS and others, what libraries should be unbundled is the next (or the
 next) topic.  Wait for a while.

Matz, Syouhei, there seems to be no barrier to add RubyGems into
ruby/1.9.1 so far.  Don't you disagree we can continue the discussion
about bundling RubyGems with Ruby/1.9.1?

Eric Hodel wrote:
>> > RubyGems is still missing one key feature, the ability to handle
>> > platform-specific gems.  There may be a few other minor features that
>> > are missing, but I don't think RubyGems is ready for inclusion until
>> then.
>>
>> Are you and RubyGems maintainers negative to include RubyGems in
>> ruby/1.9.1 ?
>
> No, we'd really, really like RubyGems to be in core, but I'd really,
> really like to get the platform-specific gem handling working before it
> is in core.
>
> (The C stub to make ruby -r work with an in-core RubyGems should be easy
> to implement.)
>
> I'll have some free time coming up in August, so I may be able to get to
> it then.

Thanks for your work always about ruby.

In above which are you planning to implement 'platform-specific gem
handling' or 'C stub to make ruby -r work'?  In the case of the latter
topic, ruby itself may be able to help it with adding common
'require-hook', if someone can design such a feature.  We should do
things step by step so some features like above can be delayed to 1.9.2
though.

>> > Also, RubyGems can make releases faster than Ruby can, so it should
>> > still be possible to upgrade RubyGems to never versions independent of
>> > Ruby.
>>
>> Do you mean RubyGems can be a gem?  Looks smart.
>
> Currently RubyGems updates come as a gem, but they get installed into
> site_ruby.

Like Ryan said, it's not as much of an issue.  I was just impressed with
it. :-)

	/	/	/

At first, let's list issues about bundling RubyGems to ruby/1.9.1.

1. Is platform-specific gem handling needed?

2. Does RubyGems need some 'require-hook' feature to be added to
   ruby/1.9.1?  What's the requirements?
   - hooks -r options

3. What gem related commands should be install in BINDIR by the standard
   installer?
     gem, gemlock, gemri, gemwhich, gem_mirror, gem_server,
     index_gem_repository.rb, update_rubygems
   Nothing should be installed? (I mean 'ruby -rgem -e update gemname')

4. What $LOAD_PATH order should be?
  4-1. by default?
    [RUBYLIBDIR, SITEDIR]
  4-2. after requiring rubygems?
    [GEMs, RUBYLIBDIR, SITEDIR] or
    [RUBYLIBDIR, GEMs, SITEDIR] or
    [RUBYLIBDIR, SITEDIR, GEMs]

5. Where's the global repository for bundled rubygems?
   Of course RubyForge should be pointed.  Do we need some
   'rather official' repository at www.ruby-lang.org, too?

6. What libraries does RubyGems depend on?
   - existing bundled libraries
   - new libraries
     I forgot to mention that rake should be added to 1.9.1, too.

// NaHi