Daz,

In our labs, we have tried controlling the instrument with an x86
laptop running a reasonably recent 2.6 Linux kernel.
All our "custom hardware" interfaces to the host via three RS-232 serial
ports, so replacing the ARM with an X86 box is quite straightforward
in the lab (where we have the required power and space for it).
But, alas, the same Segfault occured in this configuration as well.

So, I believe the problem is unlikely to be particular to the ARM
gcc compiler or its optimization settings.
However, I did try reducing the optimization from
-O2 to -Os.  -Os is the optimization level used to compile
ARM Linux kernels.  Needless to say, this had no effect.

What optimization level would you suggest?
-O1 or -O0   ?!

Better yet:
Are there specific optimization flag(s) that have proven troublesome
for ruby 1.6.8?

Note that we're using GCC 3.4.5 for the embedded ARM
(with soft-floats)

and GCC 3.3.5 or GCC 3.4.4 for our x86 laptops

- brent

--
 Brent Roman
 Software Engineer                 Tel: 831 775 1808