Dan,

Of course, I've considered upgrading.  Right now, we have a complex app
deployed
and would like to fix this one issue with the GC before moving on.
"Upgrading" to another major
Ruby release will take weeks due to subtle language, library changes,
etc.   Further, without
an understanding of what's causing these segfaults, it is entirely
possible that,
after our upgrade, we still see this same problem again.

Can you assure me that an upgrade will fix this?
If so, why?  Were there relevant fixes to garbage collector (or other
components)
made for 1.8 that would address this issue?

I'd like to understand what's going on before I just "shotgun" the problem.

- brent

--
 Brent Roman
 Software Engineer                 Tel: 831 775 1808